Re: An Idea for OID conflicts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: An Idea for OID conflicts
Date: 2006-09-18 20:23:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Those types, functions and operators that aren't used by system tables could
> be created by a simple SQL script instead.

Only if you don't need to know their OIDs anywhere in the C code. I'm
not certain offhand how many of the non-core objects are so referenced.
We have in any case got a problem with changing OIDs for any built-in
types, because there are a number of clients out there with hard-wired
knowledge of what the type OIDs returned in query results mean.

T'would be nice to simplify the operator class setup though ...