Re: [HACKERS] Indent

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Indent
Date: 1999-11-10 04:20:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > "pgindent will format source files to match our standard format, which
> > > has four-space tabs, and an indenting format specified by flags to the
> > > your operating system's utility indent."
> > > Then why are all files indented with eight spaces?
> > The FAQ isn't clear on this at all. pgindent *assumes* that all tabs
> > will be four spaces. One must set vi or emacs to tab every four spaces
> > for things to look right.
> DEV FAQ says:
> <I>pgindent</I> will format source files to match our standard format,
> which has four-space tabs,

Right, I saw this the first time ;)

My point is that this statement is ambiguous, particularly for those
who didn't grow up in Pennsylvania or some other all-English locale.
"four-space tabs" could imply that all tabs are filled with four
spaces, but in fact pgindent replaces every four spaces with a tab.

I haven't stumbled across any mention of setting text editors or
printing, which if it was mentioned might reduce the possibility for
confusion.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California