Re: [HACKERS] Indent

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Indent
Date: 1999-11-10 04:58:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> My point is that this statement is ambiguous, particularly for those
> who didn't grow up in Pennsylvania or some other all-English locale.
> "four-space tabs" could imply that all tabs are filled with four
> spaces, but in fact pgindent replaces every four spaces with a tab.
>
> I haven't stumbled across any mention of setting text editors or
> printing, which if it was mentioned might reduce the possibility for
> confusion.

New DEV FAQ reads:

Our standard format is to indent each code level with one tab, where
each tab is four spaces. You will need to set your editor to display
tabs as four spaces. <I>pgindent</I> will the format code by specifying
flags to your operating system's utility <I>indent.</I><P>
<I>pgindent</I> is run on all source files just before each beta test