Re: [HACKERS] psql and comments

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] psql and comments
Date: 1999-10-07 13:30:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > The following example shows psql correctly clearing its input buffer
> > when a line containing *only* a comment is seen, but not completely
> > clearing the buffer (or not realizing that it is cleared; note the
> > changed prompt) if the comment is at the end of a valid query.
> >
> > postgres=> -- comment
> > postgres=> select 'hi'; -- comment
> > ?column?
> > --------
> > hi
> > (1 row)
> >
> > postgres->
> But aren't they _in_ a new statement, that begins with '--'?

?? Sure, that's what psql thinks. But the first case shown above
should also begin a new statement, changing the prompt (it doesn't,
because after stripping the comment there are zero blanks in the
line). I don't think that is the right behavior though.

Things aren't a big problem the way they stand, but istm that a
completely blank line (after stripping single-line comments) may as
well be the same as an empty line,and that psql could figure that out.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California