arrays of tables

From: Christoph Steinbeck <steinbeck(at)ice(dot)mpg(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: arrays of tables
Date: 1999-09-09 10:02:13
Lists: pgsql-general

I was impressed to learn that the object oriented features of pgsql
allow for using a table name as a column name in another table, like

create table candy(blah....);
create table jar(size int, type candy);

Now it does not seem to be possible to use "arrays of tables", which
would be very useful (That's at least what I think).

Assume you have a chemical database, with a table of atoms (number int,
symbol text, partners int[]), then you could nicely have a table of
molecules(number int, name text, consistsOf atoms[]).
I'm sure that's done somewhat different in regular relational database
design and it's also an everyday problem, but from an object oriented
point of view, that woult be the way to go. Right?

Or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Christoph

--
Dr. Christoph Steinbeck (http://www.ice.mpg.de/~stein)
MPI of Chemical Ecology, Tatzendpromenade 1a, 07745 Jena, Germany

What is man but that lofty spirit - that sense of enterprise.
... Kirk, "I, Mudd," stardate 4513.3..