Re: [INTERFACES] Error using Perl interface

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Mengelbier, Magnus" <Magnus(dot)Mengelbier(at)clinicaldatacare(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Error using Perl interface
Date: 1999-08-17 14:30:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> We wonder if anyone has found and resolved an error we recieve when trying
> to connect to a PostgreSQl 6.5.1 database with perl 5.0053.
> We are running Red Hat 6.0 standard installation with PostgreSQL 6.5.1 and
> the perl interface that was available. We opted to install the binaries
> instead of compiliing the source ourselves. We are running Perl 5.0053 that
> was installed with the system installation.

Which "binaries" did you install, and from what source? RedHat
currently uses a cheat to install perl (and a few other kinds of
things) in that they stuff *all* generated code into the "version
neutral" perl library area. So something built for perl-5.004x, as
were rpms posted at postgresql.org, will have been built and linked
for that version, but perl doesn't know that.

Anyway, I'm guessing that if you pick up the src.rpm for Postgres, and
build it on your system, it will start working.

I'm sure that there is a better way, like

rpm --rebuild postgresql-6.5.1-src.rpm

but I haven't actually tried running that way since I've been building
the rpms. I do know that something like

rpm -ivv postgresql-6.5.1-src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpm -ba postgresql-6.5.1.spec
cd ../RPMS/i386

will get you new rpms for your platform, built against your tools.

Good luck.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California