Re: [INTERFACES] Error using Perl interface

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mengelbier, Magnus" <Magnus(dot)Mengelbier(at)clinicaldatacare(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Error using Perl interface
Date: 1999-08-17 13:49:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Mengelbier, Magnus" <Magnus(dot)Mengelbier(at)clinicaldatacare(dot)com> writes:
> We wonder if anyone has found and resolved an error we recieve when trying
> to connect to a PostgreSQl 6.5.1 database with perl 5.0053.
> We are running Red Hat 6.0 standard installation with PostgreSQL 6.5.1 and
> the perl interface that was available. We opted to install the binaries
> instead of compiliing the source ourselves. We are running Perl 5.0053 that
> was installed with the system installation.

I believe we found out recently that Perl 5.005-something changed its PM
interfaces, thereby breaking the Postgres perl5 module at both source
and binary levels. If you revert to Perl 5.004-anything it should work.

It would be nice to find a Perl guru who knows how to fix the perl5
module for the new Perl *without* breaking backwards compatibility for
older Perls (source-level compatibility that is, I suppose binary
compatibility is hopeless).

regards, tom lane