Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-30 13:42:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

> > As I see it, these are the following things that need to be added
> > to 6.5.1 to make it alpha ready:
> > * Uncle G's Alpha patches { which I have }.
> > * Makefile conditionals for Linux/Alpha
> > * Bruce's alignment patches { which I do not have }.
> I just changed many DOUBLEALIGN's to MAXALIGN. It was a cosmetic fix,
> as far as I could tell. Are they different on Alpha?
> > Bruce, if you could get me your alignment patches, then I will try and
> > apply the above to 6.5.1, and make a patch that bring 6.5.1 up to alpha
> > ready state.

I *love* this plan. And I'll go one better: v6.5.x is not "dead", in
the sense that Tom Lane has been faithfully applying relevant patches
for his fixes in case a v6.5.2 is released. I'll guess that the Intel
problems noted with the main tree are not present in the v6.5.x tree,
so any new problems noted would be due to the upcoming Alpha patches.
Let's develop patches on 6.5.x (I'll post snapshots when we want them)
and Lamar and I can test the Intel behavior.

Unless someone else wants to do it, I'll handle applying the Alpha
patches to the v6.5.x branch of CVS.

We can publish an Alpha candidate tree so the debian folks can look at
it, and we can build a RPM for someone (Uncle George?) to test on a
RedHat box.

v6.5.2 might be possible yet ;)

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California