Re: [INTERFACES] large object error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: peter(dot)garner(at)toward(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] large object error
Date: 1998-10-26 16:16:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Peter Garner" <peter(dot)garner(at)toward(dot)com> writes:
> I am getting a wierd error attempting to access the lobs.
> When I close the lob, I get the error
> PQfn: expected a 'V' from the backend. Got 'N' instead

This is a bug in libpq 6.3.2 (and probably all prior releases).
It doesn't cope with "NOTICE" messages issued by the backend during
a fast-path function call, which is what all the lo_XXX routines are.

It's impossible to guess from this much info what the NOTICE is and
whether it's anything significant; very possibly it's ignorable.
The backend is willing to proceed with the transaction, anyway.

This bug is fixed in the current sources. Although 6.4 is officially
still beta, I'd really suggest using a current snapshot in place of
6.3.2 --- I believe the current sources are more stable than 6.3.2.
(My company is currently running production apps on a server built
from a late-September snapshot, and it's given us no trouble ...
whereas 6.3.2 had some nasty bugs that got tickled by our apps.)

Alternatively, I think that a small patch to the 6.3.2 sources to handle
NOTICE messages during PQfn() was posted to one or another of the pgsql
mailing lists sometime this summer (not by me). Check the archives.

regards, tom lane