Re: minor bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Torsten Förtsch <tfoertsch123(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: minor bug
Date: 2023-01-18 20:03:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
>> I seem to recall that the original idea was to report the timestamp
>> of the commit/abort record we are stopping at. Maybe my memory is
>> faulty, but I think that'd be significantly more useful than the
>> current behavior, *especially* when the replay stopping point is
>> defined by something other than time.
>> (Also, the wording of the log message suggests that that's what
>> the reported time is supposed to be. I wonder if somebody messed
>> this up somewhere along the way.)

> recoveryStopTime is set to recordXtime (the time of the xlog record)
> a few lines above that patch, so this is useful information if it is
> present.

Ah, but that only happens if recoveryTarget == RECOVERY_TARGET_TIME.
Digging in the git history, I see that this did use to work as
I remember: we always extracted the record time before printing it.
That was accidentally broken in refactoring in c945af80c. I think
the correct fix is more like the attached.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Don-t-show-bogus-recovery-stop-time.V3.patch text/x-diff 852 bytes