Re: Tools for moving normalized data around

From: Gavan Schneider <list(dot)pg(dot)gavan(at)pendari(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Peter <pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org>, Peter <pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tools for moving normalized data around
Date: 2023-01-18 20:15:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On 19 Jan 2023, at 6:47, Peter wrote:

> Now I want to grab some part of the data, on a certain condition
> (let's say all records belonging to user 'Bob', if there is a "user"
> table somewhere at the tree-bottom), and move it to another database
> with the very same layout - which is already populated with data
> and runs a different instance of the same application.
>
> Grabbing the intended records is just some dead-simple Selects. But
> then inserting them into the other database is not fun, because some
> primary keys will likely collide.

A very small sliver in this problem:
The key collision problem could be avoided if the unique and arbitrary keys were UUID
Many of the other keys should be related to their respective “table of truth” so the migration is dependant on these being the same across the locations

The rest TBA down thread :)

Regards

Gavan Schneider
——
Gavan Schneider, Sodwalls, NSW, Australia
— H. L. Mencken, 1920