Re: Use Declare/Fetch and PG 7.4 (Hiroshi?)

From: "alexandre :: aldeia digital" <alepaes(at)aldeiadigital(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use Declare/Fetch and PG 7.4 (Hiroshi?)
Date: 2003-11-18 20:25:09
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

Can this problem be solved in ODBC driver ?!?!
Thanks a lot for any help... I need to resolve this before
a massive PG upgrade ...

Alexandre

>Hi,

>I will move to PG 7.4 quickly. I change the PG code from ERROR to WARNING
>to aviod this error, but I think that ODBC driver must correct this.
>Searching the mailing lists, I see a request from PG developer about the
>change CURSORs behavior, from WANRING to ERROR. Anyone report problemns
>and the code was changed... :(

>Alexandre

> Le Mon, Nov 10, 2003, à 04:30:42PM -0200, alexandre :: aldeia digital a
écrit:

>> When the ODBC´s "Use Declare/Fetch" option is enabled the automatic
declaration of cursor great improve the performence for me.

> I second this observation with the workloads I'm confronted with.
>
>> In PG 7.3, this causes a WARNING only, but the behavior of this event
is changed to ERROR in PG 7.4, aborting the application.

> I'm not going to contribute much here, except express interest in seeing
a solution to this (I didn't plan to move to 7.4 very quickly, but this
would be a showstopper to me -- it's not a totally rare event for me to
need datasets beyond what 32-bit Win32 will allow a single process to
allocate, thus killing postgres.exe (ouch!)).