Re: fyi: possible security bug linking from MS Access

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Fred Parkinson <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fyi: possible security bug linking from MS Access
Date: 2003-11-17 21:42:37
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 20:28, Fred Parkinson wrote:
> I am using ms access (XP, aka 2002) to link to a postgres database with
> odbc driver 7.02.00.05 and using the ms access facilities
> File>Get external data>link tables>ODBC databases().
>
> If I start my app the normal way I am asked to provide a postgres user
> and password.
>
> However, if i start Access with the shift key down, so my startup form
> doesn't open, delete my table links and relink, I am never asked for my
> postgres user and password yet am successfully linked to the postgres
> tables and my app behaves normally. I simply open the startup form and
> I am in without needing the postgres user and password.

It sounds as if the server is set to allow open access using "trust"
authentication. The relevant file on the server is $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf;
read the chapter on client authentication in the PostgreSQL manuals.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver