Re: How to use SPI_saveplan

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jack Orenstein <jao(at)geophile(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to use SPI_saveplan
Date: 2006-09-10 02:44:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Jack Orenstein <jao(at)geophile(dot)com> writes:
> Assigning SPI_prepare output to a local makes sense. Assigning
> SPI_saveplan output to a static makes sense. But I don't see
> the point in assigning SPI_saveplan output to a local, yet
> that's what one case the doc specifically mentions.

Hm, are you speaking of this?

<para>
<function>SPI_saveplan</function> saves a passed plan (prepared by
<function>SPI_prepare</function>) in memory protected from freeing
by <function>SPI_finish</function> and by the transaction manager
and returns a pointer to the saved plan. This gives you the
ability to reuse prepared plans in the subsequent invocations of
your procedure in the current session. You may save the pointer
returned in a local variable. Always check if this pointer is
<symbol>NULL</symbol> or not either when preparing a plan or using
an already prepared plan in <function>SPI_execute_plan</function>.
</para>

My inclination is to just delete the last two sentences, on the grounds
that they are essentially content-free. Perhaps the original author's
intent would be met by s/local variable/static variable/, but this is
reference material not beginner hints.