Re: First 6.5 RPMs

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeff Johnson <jbj(at)redhat(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: First 6.5 RPMs
Date: 1999-07-02 16:50:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen wrote:

> I successfully installed them here on one of my Mandrake 5.3 machines.

Great!

> I'm going to let AOLserver bang on that database for the next 72 hours
> or so -- everything went smoothly. I installed the main package, the
> devel package (required to build AOLserver's postgres client), and the
> server package.

I'm interested in how the other interface packages installed. Perhaps
you can install the tcl package and fire up pgaccess (should be
trivial)?

> I will build rh6 rpms this weekend and place them on my server Monday
> (once I reenable anon-ftp on my utility box), as I don't have a 6.0 box
> here to build on, yet.

Can you try installing the rpms on your RH6.0 box before you build and
install them yourself? I'm interested in whether they behave (I think
they should...).

Also, before we post too many variants, perhaps we can work out the
portability issues with perl and python; then we can probably rely on
a single solid build on a fresh machine like your RH6.0 box.

Thanks for the help.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California