Re: [HACKERS] numeric data type on 6.5

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] numeric data type on 6.5
Date: 1999-04-27 14:28:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The problem is that the yacc parser already tries to convert
> it into an integer or float if you omit the quotes. I'll try
> to implement a NUMERIC fallback for this case for 6.6 and
> then have all the auto conversion functionality so NUMERIC,
> INTEGER and FLOAT can be used mixed.

I'm looking at this right now. I had coded in a fallback to FLOAT8 for
the integer types because at the time that was the only other useful
numeric type. However, I'm going to try changing the code to leave a
failed INTx token as a string of unspecified type, which would be
typed and converted later using the automatic coersion mechanism.

istm that this would be a no-brainer for v6.5, since it is just
replacing one heuristic with a more general and more correct one. And
I had implemented both, so we know who to blame :)

Will let y'all know how it goes...

- Tom

South Pasadena, California