Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres

From: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
Date: 1999-04-27 06:09:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Jim Jennis wrote:
> A DEC (sorry Compaq) Alpha running Linux is a mean combination. Used
> Alpha's can be had fairly cheap and they really scream. If cost is an
> issue, I would look for an older one used e.g. a
>
> DEC 2100/A500MP (was marketed as a "Sable")
>
> Put Linux on the beast and watch the smoke roll.

Yep, and they do multiple processors (on linux as well, I couldn't find
a link now, but I seem to remember a report of linux running on an
8-processor Alpha 8400. www.alphalinux.org is the place to look). We use
Alpha with Digital Unix, because we do lots of number crunching (we need
their compilers), and it's fast and rock-solid. And the new DS-20's have
got a 5.2GB/s back-plane.... Intel eat your heart out.....

The Alphas won't necessarily blow your mind on integer applications
though, but they will hold their own. We switched from Sun a long time
ago, and never looked back.

Adriaan