Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - MSysConf

From: Karsten Kaus <kk(at)kdschmid(dot)de>
To: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC - MSysConf
Date: 1999-02-13 23:58:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

David Hartwig wrote:

I still do not know, whats going on, but I get it running somehow:
I must not need the controlpanel to set up the DSN. If I stay within
Access when
linking the tables and configure the DSN from the panel Access opens up,
then
everything works (as far as I checked). I even get write-access - wow.
Access seems to make a copy of the driver-settings. I set up a DSN with
read-only access (wich shows up in the contolpanel after linking the
tables) and
try to change to read/write in the controlpanel - it does not work.
I have to link all the 70 tables new with a freshly created DSN, within
Access.
Hope I get this distributed to all the stations without too much
handwork.
For this first try, I'm only creating a faxlog for 6 of our users. But
in 2 weeks it's
going to be harder.

( By the way: Most of the records I will use are bigger than 2k. Can
someone give me a
keyword how to handle that?)

> What version of the PostgreSQL driver are you running?
I thought it was the latest: PostgreSQL 6.40.0004

> What version of Access?
Access 97 - Access 2.0 does not recognize the PostgreSQL Driver.

> What version of the Driver Manager? The driver install will upgrade to the DM to 3.0 but it is optional.
I should be already above that.

> I probably should have asked this before we got this far.
>
> Karsten Kaus wrote:

> > MSACCESS fff27265:fff26281 EXIT SQLExecDirect with return code
> > 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
> > HSTMT 0x00b31870
> > UCHAR * 0x040ce9a0 [ -3] "SELECT Config, nValue FROM
> > MSysConf"
> > SDWORD -3
> >

> Here is where it gets strange. The above statement should have a return code of -1 if the table does not exist. And the error message should say so. (I just this verified this on my
> system.) The next few statements tries to cope with the result set and it is not happy with what it is getting.

Thanks a lot so far, but still I'm not too happy with that.

KK