Re: [INTERFACES] Large objects, why not use the filesystem?

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Gregory W Burnham <gburnham(at)sfu(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Large objects, why not use the filesystem?
Date: 1999-02-01 13:26:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Ok, I've seen all the xinv* files, I understand that. But what
> if the benefit of using large objects over files? If there isn't
> superior performance then why do it?

To provide a consistant access interface in a client-server environment.
Managing one interface is usually easier than managing several (e.g.
postgres, html, ftp, ...) to support a single app.

I would expect the performance of LOs to be somewhat worse than direct
file system access to the same data, for a variety of reasons. But for
many applications that performance difference is not a critical issue.

- Tom