Re: [INTERFACES] Large objects, why not use the filesystem?

From: "Gregory W Burnham" <gburnham(at)sfu(dot)ca>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Large objects, why not use the filesystem?
Date: 1999-02-01 13:28:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas G. Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Gregory W Burnham <gburnham(at)sfu(dot)ca>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, February 01, 1999 5:26 AM

>> Ok, I've seen all the xinv* files, I understand that. But what
>> if the benefit of using large objects over files? If there isn't
>> superior performance then why do it?
>
>To provide a consistant access interface in a client-server environment.
>Managing one interface is usually easier than managing several (e.g.
>postgres, html, ftp, ...) to support a single app.

Right, but I'm storing html and gif in my blobs and just
writing them out to stdout. Why shouldn't I just store
the file names and put the files right on the server?

>I would expect the performance of LOs to be somewhat worse than direct
>file system access to the same data, for a variety of reasons. But for
>many applications that performance difference is not a critical issue.

To quote a friend of mine, "Efficiency is an issue only when
inefficiency is a problem." But still, you want to be as
efficient as possible, right? In retrospec, it would have
been more efficient to store all four digits of the year, right?

Gregory W Burnham
Software Engineer
Excite Labs
Faculty Of Education