Re: [HACKERS] NUMERIC needs OID's

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] NUMERIC needs OID's
Date: 1998-12-30 14:55:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For the next step then I need some help in the parser. I
> think it would be good to have anything that looks like a
> double/float and any integer that doesn't fit into an int4
> parsed into a NUMERIC, and if it really should be one of the
> others type-coerced back later. This is the only way to get
> rid of the single quotes for literal NUMERIC values without
> the danger of loosing digits (due to double's limited
> precision). But I'm not sure about all the things that might
> break if doing so.

I can help with this. I would suggest starting conservatively,
converting to NUMERIC only when one of the other existing types does not
work. Later, we can more tightly couple the numeric types to make this
more transparent.

When you have the numeric stuff ready to go, commit it to the source
tree and we can start working on the parsing issues.

- Tom