Re: Standalone driver for Unix

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Standalone driver for Unix
Date: 1998-10-29 15:01:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> scampbell(at)lear(dot)com wrote:
> >
> > I had one other interesting thing with the Postgresql ODBC driver.
> I don't know much of the internal's of ODBC but here's what I'm
> wondering...
> >
> > When I use an extended datatype (let's say one for ipaddress for
> instance) and then use MS Access to open the table via ODBC it
> complains that the 'ipaddress' is an unknown type. I have clicked a
> box in creation of the ODBC ini file (or the .DSN file actually in the
> case of MS) that says (something similar to) 'Treat unknown datatypes
> as LongVarChar' but it seems to have no effect turned on or off. Does
> our drive not support this? Is MS just show it normal 'excellence in
> programming'? Any ideas?

Are you trying to use this 'ipaddress' field as a key field? If so, you
must NOT check the Treat unknown datatypes as LongVarChar. The reason is
Access can't have a unique index on a field that is over 255 characters,
which is the default max length for a longvarchar.

Try unchecking the option, then you *must* re-link the table in Access to
see if it worked. Also, Make sure the size for "Max Varchar" is set to
the default of 254.

Byron