Last call?

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Postgres Documentation List <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, geek+(at)cmu(dot)edu, brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu, tih(at)hamartun(dot)priv(dot)no, rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu, martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk, t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp, Keith Parks <emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com, dlw(at)seavme(dot)xroads(dot)com
Subject: Last call?
Date: 1998-10-25 04:29:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi. I believe we are still shooting for a Nov 1 release, though without
reports of successful regression tests on more platforms I'm not sure we
can do that. I know that at least some of those listed below are the
active development platforms for some contributors, so those are
probably covered but I need confirmation. So, if you have a platform you
have tested or plan to have tested in the next few days please speak up.
Now. Or at least Soon :)

Here are the ones on the "currently supported" list (let me know if you
have something running on another platform. Any Ultrix people out there
still?):

_ AIX 4.1.x-4.2
_ BSDi
_ FreeBSD 2.2.x-3.x
_ NetBSD 1.3
_ NetBSD 1.3 NS32532
_ NetBSD 1.3 Sparc
_ NetBSD 1.3 VAX
_ DGUX 5.4R4.11 m88k
_ HPUX 10.20
_ IRIX 6.x
_ Digital 4.0
_ linux 2.0.x Alpha
x linux 2.0.x x86
_ linux 2.0.x Sparc
x mklinux PPC750
_ SCO
_ Solaris x86
_ Solaris 2.5.1-2.6 x86
_ SunOS 4.1.4 Sparc
x SVR4 MIPS
_ SVR4 4.4 m88k
x Unixware x86
x Windows NT

The porting info goes into the Admin Guide in the docs. I plan to freeze
that one last, a few days before release to give Bruce et al a chance to
polish the installation and release notes.

The other docs will need to freeze earlier to give me a chance to
generate hardcopy for v6.4. So the freeze schedule will be (again
assuming a Nov 1 release, and I'm probably not giving myself enough
time):

Oct 26: freeze Programmer's Guide and Developer's Guide
Oct 27: freeze User's Guide and reference pages
Oct 28: freeze Admin Guide
Oct 29-30: finish hardcopy, generate html

I will be out of town Oct 31-Nov 1, so need to finish a day or two
early. As it is, I should have frozen some docs by now to get this stuff
done.

So, if you have anything else to contribute or update for docs, SEND IT
IN NOW. Or at least let me know it is coming soon. Or it will have to
wait for v6.5...

TIA

- Tom