Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ... and here's another change.

From: Gerald Gryschuk <ggryschuk(at)scf(dot)sk(dot)ca>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers List <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: ... and here's another change.
Date: 1998-10-06 15:58:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Doh! did it again.

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:
> Yes, exactly. It's pretty neat, really, in that either configure routine
> will handle the build for that package. And for the integrated Postgres
> tree we can count on others being careful with that main build script,
> where a configure hidden down in interfaces/odbc won't get as much
> attention.

I don't want to sound harsh but you do realize this significantly
reduces
the flexibility we have to update just the odbc driver? With
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS,
its the package itself that gets to decide how it should be built. Just
as an example, lets say I have to add code in socket.cxx for Solaris,
a significant possibility, and maybe I need a HAVE_SOLARIS in the
config.h to turn that part of the code on. With AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS I just
update the odbc driver's configure.in and config.h.in files and it will
configure without any changes to the Postgres configure file. But if I'm
interpreting what your saying correctly than I would also have to
change the Postgres distribution's configure.in, an eventuality that I
don't relish.

Given that the odbc driver has many more ports, and therefore changes,
to be made before it catches up with the distribution I suspect there
may still be a few changes necessary in the configure files. It would
be nice if this could be updated independently of the distribution
itself.

--
Gerald Gryschuk(ggryschuk(at)scf(dot)sk(dot)ca)
Programmer Analyst