Re: ... and here's another change.

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Gerald Gryschuk <gerald(dot)gryschuk(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ... and here's another change.
Date: 1998-10-06 13:35:21
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> Huh? Are you saying that you added commands other than
> AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS to the Postgres distribution configure.in such that
> it "builds" the odbc makefiles itself rather than having the odbc
> driver's configure script do it?

Yes, exactly. It's pretty neat, really, in that either configure routine
will handle the build for that package. And for the integrated Postgres
tree we can count on others being careful with that main build script,
where a configure hidden down in interfaces/odbc won't get as much
attention.

> > The "make standalone" might work a bit better if it takes the
> > template directory from ../../template rather than from ./template
> > (using -C on tar to untar things locally),
> I'm sure its only a minor detail but pray explain some more.
> I use -C ../../template to get the template files from the Postgres
> top-level directory. Than all someone has to do with the tarball is
> tar -xzf tarfile.tar.gz in some empty directory and they have the
> complete source ready to just ./configure. What am I missing?

You're missing nothing. I didn't see the "-C" in the tar command line
(wasn't looking before the -f for that kind of option). It looks great.

> > At some point we should think about yanking the platform-specific
> > stuff out of the GNUmakefile.in and using the templates for that
> > instead. But let's stop polishing for right now and get something
> > committed and on the air.
> I agree, I'm kinda tired of looking at configure scripts. Besides I
> have a real job. I suppose if we get enough ports to other systems
> eventually we can do that but I think it can wait. Bet you thought
> you could trick me again and have me just jump right on it huh? :-)

No need for you to do anything, it's *almost* where it needs to be. I
have a problem getting HAVE_PWD_H set from the main configure script in
the odbc/config.h which I'm looking at now. I'll fix that, and then send
the tarball to the beta testers and to Byron, and let things settle down
a bit. We'll probably have some minor tweaks for the final v6.4 release
(hopefully getting some Solaris support, for example) but I think this
is a solid package. The only other thing we might need to address is
some patches to get Byron's VC support files updated.

Talk to you soon.

- Tom