Re: [HACKERS] vacuum analyze problem

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] vacuum analyze problem
Date: 1998-10-05 03:28:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> cvs still has problem with vacuum analyze on my Linux machine:
> after completion of regression test which passed fine I tried
> vacuum analyze on regression db and got
> NOTICE: AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state
> NOTICE: AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state
*snip*
> Earlier this happened only if I run postmaster with number of buffers > 128 and never happens when I run regression test following procedure
> described in INSTALL.

I'm not seeing this problem on my Linux machine (2.0.30 kernel) so it
probably isn't a general problem with Linux. I haven't done a completely
new refresh of my sources for at least a few days, though I don't think
this is the problem because you've been seeing something like this on
your machine for a while.

Your problem would be easier to diagnose if someone could reproduce it
on another machine, but if the test is as simple as trying a vacuum on
the regression database then it's easy to test and we aren't finding it
happening everywhere :(

Keep plugging away at it though because there's always a chance that
your particular machine is uncovering an obscure feature of the code...

- Tom