Re: pg_dump new -n flag

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump new -n flag
Date: 1998-10-05 03:15:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > And, can we be sure to update both sgml and man pages from here to
> > release to keep them in sync?
> Yes. Good idea. Just one question. Are we sure we have all the man
> page sync with the sgml? I remember Tom Lane saying there was some
> stuff missing from the sgml.

I just committed a bunch of new sgml sources covering the essential
utilities. They are based on the equivalent man pages, so we should try
to keep them in sync until after the upcoming release.

I think that Tom Lane is working on the sgml docs right now, and I saw a
commit of at least one already. I'll go ahead and remove one or two more
of the man page docs which are obsolete.

I still have to consolidate or write new info for the SERIAL, INT8, and
CIDR data types (I've got Tom H's info on CIDR, but expect to have to
move things around a bit).

btw, I'm thinking of changing the src/ and doc/ Makefiles to have the
man pages installed from the doc directory, not the src directory. So,
one would get the man pages installed by doing

% cd doc
% make install

rather than having them installed every time you install a new
executable, as currently happens. I won't move the location of the man
sources, just change the makefiles.

Comments?

- Tom