Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.
Date: 1998-09-01 17:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Thomas A. Szybist <szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com>

> > > ^^^
> > >
> > > Do you mean -O0 here?
> > >

> > Yes, a typo, I used -O0 for this dir.
>
> Can we try a simple -O rather than just -O2 and -O0. Could this be some
> type of optimizer bug in gcc2/Solaris?
>
> Everything is pointing to indexing.c, from both the initdb failure and
> the create function failure. But I can't see anything wrong in there,
> and other platforms seem to be OK.

Bruce,

I do not know if this problem is related in any way, but I have a serious
problem on AIX 4.1. I am jumping in here because there is a chance they are
related. Just manifest differently.

If I add an index to a table I can no longer use the table. In essence,
the look up on relname in pg_class fails. If I:
SELECT * FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'table_i_just_indexed'
-- or \d table_i_just_indexed
I get no results.
SELECT * FROM pg_class
Displays it perfectly. So does:
SELECT * FROM pg_class WHERE relname like '%table_i_just_indexed'
If I manually correct relname:
UPDATE pg_class SET relname = 'table_i_just_indexed' WHERE relname like
'%table_i_just_indexed'
Everything seems to function normally again.

I can not reproduce on my Linux box. Assertions show nothing. This can't be
good.

Andreas, are you having any success?