Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: emkxp01(at)mtcc(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Core dump in regression tests.
Date: 1998-09-01 16:19:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thomas A. Szybist <szybist(at)boxhill(dot)com>
> >

> > > If I compile backend/catalog with -O2 then the table creation is
> > ^^^
> > > OK. So it looks like it may be indexing.c, even with Bruce's
> > > recent fixes.
> >
> > Do you mean -O0 here?
> >

> Yes, a typo, I used -O0 for this dir.

Can we try a simple -O rather than just -O2 and -O0. Could this be some
type of optimizer bug in gcc2/Solaris?

Everything is pointing to indexing.c, from both the initdb failure and
the create function failure. But I can't see anything wrong in there,
and other platforms seem to be OK.

Someone mentioned that Solaris does not use -O2 by default, and there
may be a good reason for this.

The new code is more streamlined from the megapatch, and perhaps the
optimizer is now able to do too much optimizing.

I don't want to go casting blame other places, but I think gcc that may
be the cause, and if it is, we just need to lower the default
optimization for those platforms.

Let's try adding Assert checking with the configure --enable-cassert
option, and compiling with -O rather than -O2 and see what happens.

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026