Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC driver for Applixware and Unix

From: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC driver for Applixware and Unix
Date: 1998-07-17 14:26:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> The next release of Applixware for Linux will have database support (not
> guaranteed I suppose, but it is in the beta).

Sorry, but what is Applixware? I think I knew what it was in a previous
life.

> At the moment, the release
> will have an ODBC driver for MySQL. Applix is willing to try to ship an
> ODBC interface for PostgreSQL. What would it take to do it? I suspect we
> would need to get things together fairly quickly to have a shot at
> getting into the release.
>
> This is a native Unix-hosted ODBC interface, not the WIN32 driver,
> though I don't know what would be different about the source code.

We have received and applied patches to the driver in order to port it to
Linux for use with the iODBC driver manager. Though, we do not use it
ourselves, we have received reports that the driver is functioning under
native Linux.

> also am not certain if we would be allowed to hack the MySQL driver
> (don't know the copyright situation on it).

Tom, I am a bit confused by this statement. This is not trivial
undertaking.

> Speak up if you are interested in helping, have information which could
> help get us going, or can suggest someone else who might be a resource.
> I have a few more details on the MySQL ODBC driver at my office if that
> would be helpful.

We will support any effort to get PostgreSQL (and psqlodbc) into as many
users hands as possible. Our goal is to make PostgreSQL commercially
viable alternative. And, the more users, the the more feedback the more
contributors...