Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC driver for Applixware and Unix

From: "Michael H(dot) Warfield" <mhw(at)alcove(dot)wittsend(dot)com>
To: daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com (David Hartwig)
Cc: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, cobrien(at)access(dot)digex(dot)net, uwe(at)cht(dot)de
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC driver for Applixware and Unix
Date: 1998-07-17 16:49:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

David Hartwig enscribed thusly:

> Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> > The next release of Applixware for Linux will have database support (not
> > guaranteed I suppose, but it is in the beta).

Where can I get that BETA?!?!?!?

> Sorry, but what is Applixware? I think I knew what it was in a previous
> life.

It's an office suite. Something like Micro$oft Office but for *NIX
platforms. It has a decent wordprocessor, spredsheet, graphics package,
and presentation package. I use most of them. All of my presentations
are done using ApplixPresents (at this year's Atlanta Linux Showcase [plug,
plug] my talk will be done with ApplixPresents and will be about cryptography
on Linux see http://www.ale.org/showcase/ for details about showcase). A
serious lacking has been database support, ala M$ Access, on Linux, even
though Applixware does tout database support on other *NIX platforms. I like
Applixware. ApplixPresents could use some more work (like more multimedia
support with video and audio) and the database support is a real sore
point when I'm trying to compete against the NT weanies running Office Pro.
They need to get this together fast, with Corel coming on and promising to
port their suite of programs to Linux! If I get WordPerfect, Corel Draw,
Corel Presents, AND Paradox on Linux, Applixware will be toast and I will
be in seventh heaven. M$ Office on Windows and Applixware (and StarOffice)
elsewhere will have real serious competition in that combo!

Along those lines... Has anyone been in contact with Corel and
dicussed with them interfacing Paradox to Postgress under a Linux port?

> > At the moment, the release
> > will have an ODBC driver for MySQL. Applix is willing to try to ship an
> > ODBC interface for PostgreSQL. What would it take to do it? I suspect we
> > would need to get things together fairly quickly to have a shot at
> > getting into the release.

> > This is a native Unix-hosted ODBC interface, not the WIN32 driver,
> > though I don't know what would be different about the source code.

> We have received and applied patches to the driver in order to port it to
> Linux for use with the iODBC driver manager. Though, we do not use it
> ourselves, we have received reports that the driver is functioning under
> native Linux.

> > also am not certain if we would be allowed to hack the MySQL driver
> > (don't know the copyright situation on it).

> Tom, I am a bit confused by this statement. This is not trivial
> undertaking.

> > Speak up if you are interested in helping, have information which could
> > help get us going, or can suggest someone else who might be a resource.
> > I have a few more details on the MySQL ODBC driver at my office if that
> > would be helpful.

> We will support any effort to get PostgreSQL (and psqlodbc) into as many
> users hands as possible. Our goal is to make PostgreSQL commercially
> viable alternative. And, the more users, the the more feedback the more
> contributors...

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw(at)WittsEnd(dot)com
(The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/