Re: longfin missing gssapi_ext.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: longfin missing gssapi_ext.h
Date: 2023-04-08 17:47:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I suspected there would be an issue with OSX but hadn't expected an
> issue with NetBSD. I had tested this across a few Linux platforms and
> cfbot showed it wasn't causing issues on Windows or the platforms that
> are run there. Would be really great to have a way to test these things
> out on these other platforms other than just committing them and seeing
> what happens on the buildfarm.

I poked around a bit more and found that:

* NetBSD's package collection[1] includes both Heimdal and MIT Kerberos
(mit-krb5). Apparently what's installed on at least some of the buildfarm
animals is the former.

* FreeBSD seems to offer *only* Heimdal [2]; OpenBSD ditto [3].

* I cannot find any sign of either gss_store_cred_into or gssapi_ext.h
in FreeBSD's Heimdal (7.8.0_6).

So it does not look like supporting Heimdal is going to be optional,
and that means the credential delegation feature is going to have
to be optional, or else we need to find some equivalent Heimdal APIs.

I share your feeling that we could probably blow off Apple's built-in
GSSAPI. MacPorts offers both Heimdal and kerberos5, and I imagine
Homebrew has at least one of them, so Mac people could easily get
hold of newer implementations. But the BSDen are going to be a
problem.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/security/index.html
[2] https://ports.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=kerberos&stype=all&sektion=all