Re: Improve GetConfigOptionValues function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve GetConfigOptionValues function
Date: 2023-01-18 16:14:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> GetConfigOptionValues function extracts the config parameters for the
> given variable irrespective of whether it results in noshow or not.
> But the parent function show_all_settings ignores the values parameter
> if it results in noshow. It's unnecessary to fetch all the values
> during noshow. So a return statement in GetConfigOptionValues() when
> noshow is set to true is needed. Attached the patch for the same.
> Please share your thoughts.

I do not think this is an improvement: it causes GetConfigOptionValues
to be making assumptions about how its results will be used. If
show_all_settings() were a big performance bottleneck, and there were
a lot of no-show values that we could optimize, then maybe the extra
coupling would be worthwhile. But I don't believe either of those
things.

Possibly a better answer is to refactor into separate functions,
along the lines of

static bool
ConfigOptionIsShowable(struct config_generic *conf)

static void
GetConfigOptionValues(struct config_generic *conf, const char **values)