Re: [INTERFACES] Access'97 and ODBC

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "Jose' Soares Da Silva" <sferac(at)bo(dot)nettuno(dot)it>
Cc: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih+mail(at)hamartun(dot)priv(dot)no>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Access'97 and ODBC
Date: 1998-04-30 13:08:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> > > I vote for changing default date format to ISO-8601 to reflect
> > Hear! Hear! Good standards beat silly conventions any day!
> Seems that you don't like conventions Tom, but you want
> that all world use dates with American format.
> Seems that you want impose one convention.
> We're working with a database which name is PostgreSQL.
> I suppose that you know what's mean the last 3 letters.

Uh, Jose', he was agreeing with you :))

Anyway, imo the only issue is _when_ this kind of change should take
place. My comment in the documentation did not promise that it would
change in the next release, only that it might change in a future
release. btw, I don't think that the ISO date style is mandated by the
SQL92 standard, but it does seem like a good idea, particularly as we
approach y2k...

Of course, since we now have the PGDATESTYLE environment variable,
usable by both the backend (at startup) and libpq (at connect time),
perhaps a change in default date format is not something to worry about
too much.

I haven't heard any negative comments (yet) about changing the default
date format to ISO-8601 (yyyy-mm-dd). Does anyone have a strong feeling
that this should _not_ happen for v6.4??

Speak up or it might happen ;)

- Tom