Re: pg14 psql broke \d datname.nspname.relname

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Subject: Re: pg14 psql broke \d datname.nspname.relname
Date: 2022-04-07 22:37:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I still have a vague feeling that there's probably some way of doing
> this better, but had more or less resolved to commit this patch as is
> anyway and had that all queued up. But then I had to go to a meeting
> and when I came out I discovered that Tom had done this:

Sorry, it didn't occur to me that that would impinge on what you
were doing over here ... though in retrospect I should have thought
of it.

> I don't know whether that's a bug fix for the existing code or some
> new bit of functionality that \dconfig requires and nothing else
> needs.

Well, \dconfig needs it because it would like foo.bar to get processed
as just a name. But I think it's a bug fix because as things stood,
if the caller doesn't provide a schemavar and the pattern contains a
dot, the code just silently throws away the dot and all to the left.
That doesn't seem very sane, even if it is a longstanding behavior.