Re: SQL/JSON features for v15

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON features for v15
Date: 2022-08-31 18:45:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I guess you are saying that setting a cut-off was a bad idea, or that
> the cut-off was too close to the final release date. For me, I think
> there were three questions:

> 1. Were subtransactions acceptable, consensus no
> 2. Could trapping errors work for PG 15, consensus no
> 3. Could the feature be trimmed back for PG 15 to avoid these, consensus ?

We could probably have accomplished #3 if there was more time,
but we're out of time. (I'm not entirely convinced that spending
effort towards #3 was productive anyway, given that we're now thinking
about a much differently-scoped patch with API changes.)

> I don't think our community works well when there are three issues in
> play at once.

To the extent that there was a management failure here, it was that
we didn't press for a resolution sooner. Given the scale of the
concerns raised in June, I kind of agree with Andres' opinion that
fixing them post-freeze was doomed to failure. It was definitely
doomed once we reached August with no real work done towards it.