Re: [QUESTIONS] Accessing Postgresfrom JBuilder using JDBC

From: Pierre Habraken <Pierre(dot)Habraken(at)ujf-grenoble(dot)fr>
To: Aaron Dunlop <dunlopa(at)adscomputers(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-questions(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] Accessing Postgresfrom JBuilder using JDBC
Date: 1998-03-20 13:45:27
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Aaron Dunlop wrote:

> I've gotten JDBC connections from JBuilder, but only queries - no
> updates.
>
> To get the connection to work from within the IDE (e.g. when the
> application is not actually running) you have to add the path to
> postgresql.jar to the IDEClassPath entry in JBuilder.ini
> (C:\JBuilder\bin\JBuilder.ini) on my system.
>
> My entry reads
> IDEClassPath=..\lib\jbuilder.zip;..\lib\jbcl.zip;..\lib\jgl.zip;..\java\lib\classes.zip;..\java\lib\postgresql.jar

I checked this: the entry for postgresql.jar is already present in
JBuilder.ini.

> Then you'll have to apply a patch to the Postgresql JDBC driver. I don't
> have the changes in patch form handy, but I think they came out over the
> patches mailing list recently, so you can probably get them from the
> archive.
> It's just changing the default response of two functions in
> ResultSetMetaData.java
> to "return 0" instead of throwing an exception.

Do you know where I can get this patch ?
The site ftp://ftp.postgresql.org has been unreachable since yesterday
evening, at least from where I reside (France). I tried to browse mirror
sites but I did not find there anything such as a jdbc patch related to
Jbuilder.

> After that, I'm still at a loss as to why the update queries I send are
> never
> actually updated in the DB.

As for me, this will be the next step...

> Hope that helps a bit,

It does help, because I know at present (1) that it is possible to
connect the Jbuilder environment and Postgres and (2) that I am not
alone on the earth trying to do that !

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Pierre
Pierre HABRAKEN - mailto:Pierre(dot)Habraken(at)ujf-grenoble(dot)fr
Tél: 04 76 51 48 87 - Fax: 04 76 51 45 63
Université Joseph Fourier - Département Scientifique Universitaire
Adresse postale : CAFIM/DSU BP53 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9