Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2020-08-15 11:47:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-08-13 00:34, Andres Freund wrote:
> I e.g. just re-indented patch 0001 of my GetSnapshotData() series and
> most of the hunks were entirely unrelated. Despite the development
> window for 14 having only relatively recently opened. Based on my
> experience it tends to get worse over time.

Do we have a sense of why poorly-indented code gets committed? I think
some of the indentation rules are hard to follow manually. (pgperltidy
is worse.)

Also, since pgindent gets run eventually anyway, it's not really that
important to get the indentation right the first time. I suspect the
goal of most authors and committers is to write readable code rather
than to divine the exact pgindent output.

I think as a start, we could just issue a guidelines that all committed
code should follow pgindent. That has never really been a guideline, so
it's not surprising that it's not followed.