Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2020-08-15 16:59:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2020-08-15 13:47:41 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2020-08-13 00:34, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I e.g. just re-indented patch 0001 of my GetSnapshotData() series and
> > most of the hunks were entirely unrelated. Despite the development
> > window for 14 having only relatively recently opened. Based on my
> > experience it tends to get worse over time.
>
> Do we have a sense of why poorly-indented code gets committed? I think some
> of the indentation rules are hard to follow manually. (pgperltidy is
> worse.)
>
> Also, since pgindent gets run eventually anyway, it's not really that
> important to get the indentation right the first time. I suspect the goal
> of most authors and committers is to write readable code rather than to
> divine the exact pgindent output.

One thing is that some here are actively against manually adding entries
to typedefs.list. Which then means that code gets oddly indented if you
use pgindent. I personally try to make the predictable updates to
typedefs.list, which then at least allows halfway sensibly indenting my
own changes.

> I think as a start, we could just issue a guidelines that all committed code
> should follow pgindent. That has never really been a guideline, so it's not
> surprising that it's not followed.

Without a properly indented baseline that's hard to do, because it'll
cause damage all over. So I don't think we easily can start just there -
we'd first need to re-indent everything.

Greetings,

Andres Freund