Documentation tree (again)

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Documentation List <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Documentation tree (again)
Date: 1998-02-26 03:01:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, so when I asked earlier about documentation directory structure,
Marc indicated that we should put things into a separate area, not just
plop them into the usual src/ tree. I agree, but am not sure _where_ to
actually put them.

I am thinking of making a directory doc/src/sgml (under the existing doc
directory) which would contain the sgml source code. doc/src would
contain that and a Makefile which would know how to invoke the Makefile
in doc/src/sgml. A "make install" from doc/src would copy gzip packaged
files up to doc/, where they would be for a distribution.

A Makefile in doc/ would unpack the gzip tar files of html into
directories right under doc/, such as doc/tutorial, doc/userguide, etc.

Is this OK? Some questions:

1) Should all html be isolated into subdirectories under a doc/html/
directory?

2) Should documentation source be somewhere other than doc/src/?
Remember that the doc directory is at the same level as the src/
directory for the executable source code distribution, not underneath
it.

3) The top level Makefile will be very simple at first (I won't have
time for more), and will just install directly into the doc/ directory
tree. Is this OK? If not, does someone want to volunteer to do more??

Opinions/comments?

- Tom