Re: [HACKERS] Platforms with v6.3 trouble

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Platforms with v6.3 trouble
Date: 1998-02-25 17:36:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Since these macros were inlined only for performance reasons, would it
> > be possible to revert to non-inline function calls for these platforms?
> > It would seem that substituting a macro expansion for a compiled routine
> > could be done with a compiler switch (e.g. USE_INLINING) so it could be
> > turned on and off at will.
> >
> > For most of us, the performance gains are fantastic, but for those ports
> > which broke performance has degraded to zero :(
>
> Yes, how do we do that? Do we have inlined-versions of these files?
> Sounds messy. Can people run cpp separately on the files, then compile
> them? I wonder. I think this is an SCO-only problem, and seeing as
> their native compilers are notoriously buggy (Microsoft/SVr4 code), it
> is no wonder.

Well, those macros used to be a function call, right? So surround the macro
with#ifdef USE_INLINING
#define ...
#endif

and surround the old subroutine code with

#ifndef USE_INLINING
#endif

Or are the macros of a different nature and not just a subroutine inlining?
If there still needs to be a little macro expansion, then that could be done
also...

> The alpha problem has been solved by having a s_lock.c file, that only
> contains the alpha/linux locking code. They don't have local asm
> labels, and hence the workaround. I believe this is not a problem issue
> for 6.3. Anyone? Of course, we still have the initdb problem, or do
> we?

Don't know...