Re: [HACKERS] Platforms with v6.3 trouble

From: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Platforms with v6.3 trouble
Date: 1998-02-25 15:19:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >From what I understand, there are at least two platforms which are
> having trouble with the macro inlining in v6.3. The alpha ports have
> trouble inlining the slock assembler code, and the SCO port has trouble
> inlining the cache lookup code.
>
> Since these macros were inlined only for performance reasons, would it
> be possible to revert to non-inline function calls for these platforms?
> It would seem that substituting a macro expansion for a compiled routine
> could be done with a compiler switch (e.g. USE_INLINING) so it could be
> turned on and off at will.
>
> For most of us, the performance gains are fantastic, but for those ports
> which broke performance has degraded to zero :(

Yes, how do we do that? Do we have inlined-versions of these files?
Sounds messy. Can people run cpp separately on the files, then compile
them? I wonder. I think this is an SCO-only problem, and seeing as
their native compilers are notoriously buggy (Microsoft/SVr4 code), it
is no wonder.

The alpha problem has been solved by having a s_lock.c file, that only
contains the alpha/linux locking code. They don't have local asm
labels, and hence the workaround. I believe this is not a problem issue
for 6.3. Anyone? Of course, we still have the initdb problem, or do
we?

--
Bruce Momjian | 830 Blythe Avenue
maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026