Re: SGML index build fix

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SGML index build fix
Date: 2007-01-07 04:38:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> The attached patch warns users when they create documentation output
> that has no index, and suggests re-running 'gmake'.

This is just useless noise. If it could tell the difference between an
up-to-date index and a not-up-to-date one, there might be some value
to it ... but as-is I think it's just getting in the user's face.
Everyone using these tools knows about the two-pass behavior.

I just got done reading an interesting comparison of MS Vista versus
Mac OS X:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196800670
The guy's very first complaint about Vista is how it demands your
attention constantly with trivial warning messages. This seems in much
the same vein.