Postgresql reindex hangs when table is being updated

From: "deep (dot)(dot)(dot)" <walter(dot)mitty(dot)esq(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgresql reindex hangs when table is being updated
Date: 2006-09-27 04:31:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I'm running a web application supported by postgresql 7.4 on an unix
system. The management part of application requires reindexing of
tables. I see that whenever reindexing runs with the while the table
is getting updated/inserted into, reindexing hangs. I understand this
is because reindexing requires an exclusive lock on the table.

Is there a possible workaround? What else can I do other than stopping
the insertion/update while reindex runs?

Thanks,
Walter