Re: missing indexes in indexlist with partitioned tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Arne Roland <A(dot)Roland(at)index(dot)de>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: missing indexes in indexlist with partitioned tables
Date: 2022-09-17 19:00:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2022-Sep-16, David Rowley wrote:
>> I kinda disagree with Alvaro's fix in 05fb5d661. I think indexlist is
>> the place to store these details. That commit added the following
>> comment:
>>
>> /*
>> * Ignore partitioned indexes, since they are not usable for
>> * queries.
>> */
>>
>> But neither are hypothetical indexes either, yet they're added to
>> RelOptInfo.indexlist.
>>
>> I think the patch should be changed so that the existing list is used
>> and we find another fix for the problems Alvaro fixed in 05fb5d661.
>> Unfortunately, there was no discussion marked on that commit message,
>> so it's not quite clear what the problem was. I'm unsure if there was
>> anything other than CLUSTER that was broken.

> After a bit of trawling through the archives, I found it here:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180124162006.pmapfiznhgngwtjf%40alvherre.pgsql
> I think there was insufficient discussion and you're probably right that
> it wasn't the best fix. I don't object to finding another fix.

FWIW, I don't see any big problem with what you did. We'd need to
do something more like what David suggests if the planner ever has
a reason to consider partitioned indexes. But as long as it does
not, why expend the time to build data structures representing them?
And we'd have to add code in quite a few places to ignore them,
once they're in indexlist.