Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Kellerer <shammat(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Official Windows Installer and Documentation
Date: 2022-07-28 02:57:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 6:42 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Note that there's no "official" Windows installer,

Yeah, that.

> Our technical definition aside, the fact is our users consider the sole EDB
> installer to be official.
> If the ultimate solution is to update:
> https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads
> to have its own installation and upgrade supplement to the official
> documentation then I'd be fine with that.

That's what needs to happen. On the Linux side for example, we do
not address packaging-specific behaviors of Devrim's builds, or Debian's
builds, or Red Hat's builds --- all of which act differently, in ways
that are sadly a lot more critical to novices than seasoned users.
If EDB isn't adequately filling in the documentation for the behavior
of their packaging, that's on them.