Re: A typo in mcxt.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A typo in mcxt.c
Date: 2017-02-24 03:59:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2017-02-23 14:26:07 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> On 2/23/17 6:38 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
>>> That is an archaic way of contracting the same words differently:

>> Given the number of non-native English speakers we have, it's probably worth
>> changing it...

> I'm a non-native speaker and I actually like discovering new language
> "features" every now and then. I think as long as it's not inhibiting
> understanding to much - which doesn't seem to be the case here - it's
> fine to keep things like this.

While I don't recall it specifically, git blame says that comment is mine.
I'm pretty sure it's not a typo, but that the allusion to Hamlet was
intentional. I think it's good to have a bit of levity and external
references in our comments; cuts down on the boredom of reading totally
dry code.

(But see commit d2783bee3 for one hazard of this sort of thing.)