Re: prokind column (was Re: [HACKERS] SQL procedures)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: prokind column (was Re: [HACKERS] SQL procedures)
Date: 2018-02-26 19:03:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 2/24/18 14:08, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I took a quick look through this and noted a few small problems; the
>> only one worth mentioning here is that you've broken psql tab completion
>> for functions and aggregates when talking to a pre-v11 server.
>> I don't think that's acceptable; however, since tab-complete.c has no
>> existing provisions for adjusting its queries based on server version,
>> it's not really clear what to do to fix it. I'm sure that's soluble
>> (and I think I recall a recent thread bumping up against the same
>> problem for another change), but it needs a bit more sweat.

> The patches proposed in the thread "PATCH: psql tab completion for
> SELECT" appear to add support for version-dependent tab completion, so
> this could be resolved "later".

I'm not sure that other patch will get in; AFAICS it's incomplete and
rather controversial. But I guess we could put this issue on the
open-items list so we don't forget.

Anyway, once the release dust settles, I'll try to do a proper review
of this patch. It'd be good if we could get it in this week before
the CF starts, so that any affected patches could be rebased.