Re: Fix XML handling with DOCTYPE

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: Ryan Lambert <ryan(at)rustprooflabs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fix XML handling with DOCTYPE
Date: 2019-03-17 17:16:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> writes:
> What I was doing in the patch is the reverse: parsing with the expectation
> of CONTENT to see if a DTD gets tripped over. It isn't allowed for an
> element to precede a DTD, so that approach can be expected to fail fast
> if the other branch needs to be taken.

Ah, right. I don't have any problem with trying the CONTENT approach
before the DOCUMENT approach rather than vice-versa. What I was concerned
about was adding a lot of assumptions about exactly how libxml would
report the failure. IMO a maximally-safe patch would just rearrange
things we're already doing without adding new things.

> But a quick pre-scan for the same thing would have the same property,
> without the libxml dependencies that bother you here. Watch this space.

Do we need a pre-scan at all?