Re: hyrax vs. RelationBuildPartitionDesc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hyrax vs. RelationBuildPartitionDesc
Date: 2019-04-12 15:42:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 05:03:21PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
>> The problem lies in all branches that have partitioning, so it should be
>> listed under Older Bugs, right? You may have noticed that I posted
>> patches for all branches down to 10.

> I have noticed. The message from Tom upthread outlined that an open
> item should be added, but this is not one. That's what I wanted to
> emphasize. Thanks for making it clearer.

To clarify a bit: there's more than one problem here. Amit added an
open item about pre-existing leaks related to rd_partcheck. (I'm going
to review and hopefully push his fix for that today.) However, there's
a completely separate leak associated with mismanagement of rd_pdcxt,
as I showed in [1], and it doesn't seem like we have consensus about
what to do about that one. AFAIK that's a new bug in 12 (caused by
898e5e329) and so it ought to be in the main open-items list.

This thread has discussed a bunch of possible future changes like
trying to replace copying of relcache-provided data structures
with reference-counting, but I don't think any such thing could be
v12 material at this point. We do need to fix the newly added
leak though.

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/10797.1552679128%40sss.pgh.pa.us